Friday, July 16, 2010

Summer Daze

I used to love the summer, when my days were care free and my time was spent playing outside with my friends, seeking shelter in the shade and spending hours on end waterlogged in a pool or a lake. You would think that these activities I am reminiscing about took place in my youth; and of course they did. But today I am remembering the care free summers of my life with no kids. Oh those blissful days when I answered to no one, and had all the time in the world.



Weekends and weekdays were spent at cottages, swimming, boating, playing cards, having fires, laughing and making memories over beverages. In fact one weekend in particular I remember playing Monopoly for a solid 8 hours, and really, if I hadn't spilled my drink across the table we would still be at Long Lake taking over the world one street at a time.



Yes, I remember those summers.



Fast forward a few years and now my summers are so very, very different. Especially this one. The biggest change (other than the 2 kids!) is that I am officially a mom that works from home. What an ironic term. It actually implies that I get work done! The reality is that this is a HUGE challenge. As I try to get a new business off the ground I am still responsible for running a household,and I have already told you that I am no June Cleaver, but I do my best and try to keep up appearances. Basically I make sure that the really dangerous choking hazards are off the floor, feed family members, and entertain or provide entertaining activities for Big and Little. It's the entertainment part that is killing me. I often sit back and wonder how the rest of you manage to do it (if you have suggestions/tips please send them my way!). Of course, I knew that it would be a juggling act, and I do surprise myself when I get stuff done, but what I wasn't prepared for though was the whinning. And I have to tell you I HATE whinning. It is the most annoying sound in the whole world. In fact, I really wish there was a cure for whinning. At one point I thought the cure was Carona's, but the side effects (aka hangovers) were no longer acceptable.




At 4 years old, all day long all I hear is "I'm Bored" and "I wanna watch a mooovie" or "I wanna play Lego Star Wars Video Game". I thought I had a few years before these words would be on repeat. I know, I know- so naiive. The crazy thing, is that I am tempted. Tempted to just plop the monkey in front of the boob tube for the day so I can have uninterrupted work time. Of course I don't let him sit there for the day; but sometimes you have to use the 'babysitter' to knock off some items from the 'to do list' or nothing would ever be accomplished.



So, in my vain attempt to manage my house, get work done, have fun, connect and bond with my kids and enjoy the summer I made a schedule.



Summer Schedule*:



7:30-9:00 Breakfast, get dressed, brush teeth, FREE ACTIVITY





9-10:00 Little goes for a nap, T.V. for BIG (Mommy showers)





10:00-10:15 Morning Snack





10:15-12:00- Let's have fun (Park, outside play, play dates, crafts, reading, activity books)





12:00-1:00 Lunch





1:00-3:00 Quiet Activities, Little Naps, Mommy works





3:00-4:00 T.V. is okay with a snack





4:00-Daddy's home T.V. off; get ready for supper.





Summer Rules for Big & Little:





  • T.V will be used in moderation. If mommy says you can't watch, you need to respect her choice and find something else to do; or, you can go in your room ( you can imagine what BIG has been choosing lately. Yup. His room!)




  • Listen and respect each other (gawd this is soooo hard for both of us to do!)




  • Everyone helps out with chores



  • No Whinning (litterally, that is a rule I wrote, I know. Naiive)




  • Try new things/activities




  • Have Fun




  • Wear Hats & Sunscreen




  • Have Fun



Big of course hates my schedule. He thinks its dumb. He says I am not fun. We are no longer friends. Oh, and my rules are dumb too.



What do you think?




2 comments:

  1. Your husband gets home at 4?....you're lucky.

    Suggestions: Plan a date night twice a month, hire a sitter and get out.
    Plan a weekend away at least twice if not 4 times a year, ask Grandma to babysit.

    That is how I kept my sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey DoulaMona- No I wish my husband got home at 4! The plan was that from 4pm until he arrives home (normally around 6:30) the tv would be shut down and those activities would take place. Alas, my plan is unravelliing faster than the yarn used in "The Sweater Song" by weezer. We have succumb to the TV all too often!

    Those are all great tips. I really should get on that. Can't say I have it too bad though. Big is just back now after 4 days at grandma's. Now I just have to reprogram him that he doesn't get his way all the time!

    ReplyDelete