Wednesday, April 21, 2010

So, 'Little' has a cold. Really, not the end of the world, as we have been here many times before and I anticipate regular and frequent visits into snot town . The cold itself was not the problem , it was the lack of sleep he was getting due to major nasal congestion. And all mom's know that when baby is overtired, baby does not sleep! So, after a full night and day of sleep deprivation, on both our parts, I was gearing up for yet another wakeful night.



As we sat in our lovely rocker and he drifted in and out of sleep I found myself staring at his beautiful face, and as I sat there, I realized that he and I don't do this very often. With my eldest son, I would sit and rock him forever enjoying the weight of him in my arms, watching his face as he slept, and listening to the beautiful sound of his breathing. As enjoyable as that was, it also created some challenges with co-dependent sleep habits, ones I did not want to repeat again. So 'Little' does not get rocked to sleep, he always goes down on his own. So I took my time with him the other night. Enjoyed the weight of his body in my arms, watching his face as he slept and listened to the beautiful sound of his breathing (which unfortunately at the time sounded like a Mac truck going through a tunnel; but I enjoyed it none the less).

As I held him, it suddenly hit me that he is growing up too quickly. His 1st birthday is closing in on us, and the opportunities to hold and snuggle him for hours on end are slipping through my fingers. So, as annoying as it can be to deal with a baby who has a cold, today I find myself thankful for the time we got to snuggle. Sleep is over rated anyway....

Wishing you and your babes a happy, snuggly day!

No comments:

Post a Comment